Re: DHCP Client in Debian sarge

Kevin Veroneau <kveroneau@zyrixnet.com> writes:
>   My current set-up is, my ISP's cable modem connects to my debian
> sarge router/gateway.  My other systems connect from that.  My other
> systems run debian testing, when I connect the RJ-45 jack from my
> cable modem directly to my debian testing box, I have no troubles at
> all keeping the connection.  All goes wrong when my debian sarge box
> takes control of the dhcp leases from my ISP.

As much as I love and recommend Debian, I have been running SmoothWall
Express 2.0 on my firewall/router.  SmoothWall provides a DHCP server,
as well as handling PPPoE; and when DSL service is out, it takes only a
few minutes to reconfigure SmoothWall to manage dial-up.

For those like myself who have little interest in mastering the
internals of firewalls and routers, SmoothWall is an almost foolproof
package which can be installed and configured within 15 to 20 minutes; I
put SmoothWall on a friend's firewall/router just last night.

RLH