Re: Radeon driver and Xfree86

Nick Wright wrote:

Interesting -- that sounds like the machine is still running.. can you
connect to it on SSH or ping it still when it gets into that state? If
you can still log in then you might be able to just kill off the X
process and have it start again without needing the reboot. Also,
there might be some more informative logging that you can take a look
at.

Unfortunately, I have no other machine that I can ping or SSH from, so I would have no choice but to "restart". I know that <CTRL>-<ALT>-<BACKSPACE> usually kills X, but even that hasn't worked when I've experienced these hangs. Like you suggest, if the problem persists, I'll look at the logs to see what I can find :-)

With my issue there is no ping, the screen has a frozen image of what
was on the screen at the time.

This definitely sounds like a hardware/kernel problem.

I swapped out the motherboard yesterday afternoon to another one that
I had previously used. The hardware configuration is now the exact
same setup that ran Windows XP fine for ~1 year. I just need to wait a
few weeks to see if the problem has gone away..

This will probably do the trick.  Good luck once more. :-)

Sincerely
Jose