Re: Radeon driver and Xfree86

Nick Wright wrote:

Unfortuantely the computer occasionally locks up (no kernel panic or
anything helpful to go on here). I realise there are any number of
reasons (hardware, software) that might be the cause of the random
lockups. They're happening about once a week at the moment.
I too have been experiencing "lock ups" every so often, but I don't think it's because of my graphics card (ATI Rage 128 Pro). With me it happens a while after I leave xmms playing a bunch of mp3's (by then xscreensaver has been active for a while). Sometimes the music will just stop playing. When I come back, the monitor is blank, but nothing I do (move the mouse, press keys) brings the monitor back. I have to press to on/off/sleep button on the computer. When I do, it seems that system goes through a normal shutdown (ie. as if I had typed "shutdown -h" at the prompt). I can then bring the computer up and it comes up normally without checking file systems, etc. I've experienced this about 2 or 3 times in about the last two weeks. I'm running testing (etch).

I'd like to start with the video card driver though, as I have a
feeling this is the most likely cause. There are open source drivers
at dri.freedesktop.org. I'd like to give them a go as I am pretty sure
I've tried them out in the past and found them to be fairly decent.
My question is how to go about setting these up on debian stable? Do I
need to download and build a bunch of custom Xfree stuff, patch my
kernel, etc etc? Is there a deb source for these drivers?

Thanks,

Nick

I hope you get your drivers working :-)