Read-only CF-card based Debian?

Hi there,

I am looking to build an always-on, low-powered Debian server for a small home-office that will support Asterisk for VoIP, files, scanner, fax, print server.  I hope to base it on a VIA EPIA mini-ITX fanless motherboard with the Debian OS installed on a CF card, then the operating system loaded into memory.  I also hope to minimize the write to CF or flash, but also not to lose the logs or configuration changes.  I have to option of attaching an external USB flash drive or use a 3.5" disk (for file storage) to store partitions that will need read-write access.  I am hoping to use debian as it is easy to add addtional packages and compile those programs that are not in the .deb archives.

I was thinking of using something like this http://gate-bunker.p6.msu.ru/~berk/router.html which allows you to install debian to a CF card, then the running system will reside in memory.  A script can also be run to write configuration changes, apt-get installs, logs back to the CF card.

Can someone tell me which partitions will need to be configured as read-write to support logging, and changes during operation?

Regards,

Stephen