Re: mp3 players with Debian (samsung and iriver)

H.S.:

> Thinking of getting an mp3 portable player. Options are
> iRiver t30 and Samsung YP-C1Z. The latter also a radio
> tuner in it so this appears to be the preferred one. The
> main deciding factor for these was that they play OGG
> files.

I have an irivier H140 which appears as a normal USB
mass-storage device in debian, supports OGG files natively,
and has a built in FM tuner.

With sid's gnome/rhythmbox, the device is recognised as an
ipod-like thing and the software behaves appropriately.

At 1155325770 past the epoch, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> I don't know these models, but a quick suggestion: go to
> <http://rockbox.org> and consider buying a model which is
> supported by Rockbox.

I would strongly suggest this also. I bought the iriver for
the exact same reasons as the OP, i.e., works in linux as a
mass-storage device and plays OGGs. However, the downside of
this is the physical user-interface is quite inferior to
other types (e.g. the ipod, creative's zen touch).

I now use rhythmbox on the iriver and it's *far far
superior* to the normal firmware. There's even a port of
doom.

If I were buying again now, I'd consider getting an apple
ipod to use with rhythmbox. That would depend, however, on
whether or not the playback and battery issues for ogg files
had been rectified. I'd quite miss the FM tuner too :(

--
Jon Dowland
http://alcopop.org/