below.

Mertens

Sorry, but I was never told this before.

On 2006-08-10, Serban Udrea wrote:

[...]

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

See the thread entitled "mess" from yesterday/today.

aptitude install kernel-image-2.4-386

This will always install the latest kernel from the 2.4 tree. If your machine is more recent than Pentium II, you could also use kernel-image-2.4-686

The solution Johannes proposes is not that you should use aptitude but
rather that you should install the metapackage kernel-image-2.4-386.
So you can also use the following:
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4-386

But he specifically mentions aptitude, and no word about metapackage. The thread he mentioned was unfortunatelly not of much help for me. Maybe I was not patient enough during reading.

Like Johannes points out kernel-image-2.4-386 is a metapackage.
Metapackages don't really have any functionality by themselves they
are only used to make it easier to install other packages.

As I wrote earlier, I do not see in his message anything about metapackage.

If you look at the output of apt-cache show kernel-image-2.4-386 you
will notice that it does not provide anything it only depends on
another package (in this case kernel-image-2.4.27-3-386).  Using
apt-cache show kernel-image-2.4.27-3-386 will show you that this is
the actual kernel.  The dependency handling will make sure that you
always get the latest available kernel.

Hope this helps

For sure! Thank you very much!

Serban