Re: problem upgrading the kernel

Serban

Top-posting is considered bad netiquette so please see my response
below.

On 2006-08-10, Serban Udrea wrote:
[...]
> Johannes, thank you for your help! Nevertheless, I do not understand why
> apt-get does not do the job, why am I supposed to use aptitude, which is
> (if I do interpret correctly the apt-get manpage) a front-end to apt.
[...]
> Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> >Serban Udrea wrote:
> >
> >>Now to my problem. I have a little server with Debian 3.1 Sarge. A few
> >>days ago I received from debian-security the message regarding
> >>problems with the 2.4.27 kernel: DSA 1097-1 New Kernel 2.4.27 packages
> >>fix several vulnerabilities. Since I have this kernel version
> >>installed I tried to upgrade but after apt-get update followed by
> >>apt-get upgrade I get:
> >>
> >>0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded
> >>
> >>I do not understand why!?
> >

> >See the thread entitled "mess" from yesterday/today.
> >
> >aptitude install kernel-image-2.4-386
> >
> >This will always install the latest kernel from the 2.4 tree. If your
> >machine is more recent than Pentium II, you could also use
> >kernel-image-2.4-686

The solution Johannes proposes is not that you should use aptitude but
rather that you should install the metapackage kernel-image-2.4-386.
So you can also use the following:
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4-386

Like Johannes points out kernel-image-2.4-386 is a metapackage.
Metapackages don't really have any functionality by themselves they
are only used to make it easier to install other packages.

If you look at the output of apt-cache show kernel-image-2.4-386 you
will notice that it does not provide anything it only depends on
another package (in this case kernel-image-2.4.27-3-386).  Using
apt-cache show kernel-image-2.4.27-3-386 will show you that this is
the actual kernel.  The dependency handling will make sure that you
always get the latest available kernel.

Hope this helps

Bram

--
# Mertens Bram "M8ram"   <bram-mertens@linux.be>   Linux User #349737 #
# debian testing            kernel 2.6.16-2-686    i686    1024MB RAM #