Re: Space to install all packages

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:21:25 +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

>> I plan to make partition,
>> 20GB /
>> 10GB /usr/local
>> 1GB swap
>> rest-GB  /home
>> Is this enough?
>
> This is more than enough. We have an installation of all your office, kde,
> gnome requirements, different sets of compilers and development tools,
> scientific software and what not and use some 5 GB on / . I doubt that you
> will fill your 10GB /usr/local with useful software, but YMMV.

I have a feeling that the OP is newly converted from M$ Windoze world,
where 10G partition is nothing, and would be fill up by silly bloated
Windoze apps very soon. But Linux is totally different.

Years after years, my root partition is only 3G, which hold every single
package that I wanted. Just recently I increased it to 4G, not because
I've run out of space, but I'm partitioning for the next 5 years. :-)

My /home is on another partition, and /opt too, which hold
non-debian packages or packages that I compiled myself.