Re: Patching a kernel source --verbose

On 8/10/06, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 10:26:40PM -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> Unfortunately, Linux has completely frozen up on me four times in a
> row while running #make-kpkg.  Different patches each time, and
> different spots each time.  I'll have to figure this out when I don't
> have deadlines.  Sadly, I think it's WinXP for now.
> Thanks for your help.
> -Chuckk

Your system freezing up may be indicative of a bad memory module.  You
may want to get a Knoppix CD or DVD and run memtest86.  You may also
want to check that your fans are running fast enough.  Overheating is a
frequent cause of lock ups.

I think it must be the fans.  I made a bootable floppy of memtest86+,
and waited an hour and 15 minutes through a couple passes, and
cancelled it.  My heatsink is really hot, though.  I thought it might
make a difference if I powered down until it was cold, then booted up
and compiled, but nope.  I also recall when I was compiling a kernel
before that I got messages and beeps every few seconds about
temperature and running slow or something.  I'm now running a kernel I
compiled from that one, so I must have changed something.  I'll see
what happens if I go again with the former kernel.

Thanks.
-Chuckk