Re: Weird refresh rate on LCD

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 09:32 -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 8/11/06, michael <linux@networkingnewsletter.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 07:58 -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > > I'm thinking this might not be caused by Linux, but Linux is telling
> > > me weird things about it.
> > > My laptop boots with all sorts of artifacts on the screen, not
> > > updating half the pixels, apparently.  If I open a terminal, I have to
> > > wave the mouse around the prompt to see what I've typed.  If I close a
> > > window, it stays until I wave the mouse around to find my desktop.
> > > When I check screen res, it says 800x600, 61Hz refresh, with no other
> > > options for either, even though /etc/X11/xorg.conf says:
> > > HorizSync      28-64
> > > VertRefresh   43-60
> > > and lists 1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480 for each depth.
> > > However, if I boot to BIOS, or use a boot disk of any kind, I get the
> > > same thing, except no mouse pointer to wave over the letters to be
> > > able to read.
> >
> > If you see it in the BIOS then it is not an operating system artifact.
> > It sounds like the screen is gone - perhaps not refreshing itself. I
> > have seen not unsimilar before (caused by external power spike? -
> > sitting on train above a seriously ill electric engine)
>
> Do you think this could cause Linux to spontaneously lower screen res
> and change refresh rate from 60 to 61 Hz?
> Thanks.

No. But if the screen is unusable in the BIOS setup do you think that it
would be usable in anything else? That was my point.

You didn't mention anything about refresh rate changing in your earlier
email. In fact, it is interesting that if you give the config files a
max of 60Hz that X plumps for 61Hz - check out the logs. I'd be worried
by this!

You need to look in your X logs for why Linux/X has chosen 800x600 out
of the alternatives you've given it.