Weird refresh rate on LCD

Hi.
I'm thinking this might not be caused by Linux, but Linux is telling
me weird things about it.
My laptop boots with all sorts of artifacts on the screen, not
updating half the pixels, apparently.  If I open a terminal, I have to
wave the mouse around the prompt to see what I've typed.  If I close a
window, it stays until I wave the mouse around to find my desktop.
When I check screen res, it says 800x600, 61Hz refresh, with no other
options for either, even though /etc/X11/xorg.conf says:
HorizSync      28-64
VertRefresh   43-60
and lists 1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480 for each depth.
However, if I boot to BIOS, or use a boot disk of any kind, I get the
same thing, except no mouse pointer to wave over the letters to be
able to read.
Debian installation detected 1024x768 as the highest res, and when I
saw online that my model supports 1280x1024, I tried throwing that in
too... could that be the problem?  I realized later I have a 14.1"
screen and there is also a 15" model that that spec may have been
meant for.
I tried counting the pixels, but I passed out before 100.  jk lol

Thanks.
-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."