Re: /usr/bin/[ what is it?

From: John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org>

On 10.08.06 17:10, Mathias Brodala wrote:
> Are you sure that it supports regular expressions?

dpkg uses shell wildcards, not regular expressions

On 10.08.06 12:05, John Hasler wrote:
> Ls doesn't do globbing.  The shell does.

Exactly. Unlike DOS, in UNIX it's up to shell to expand filenames for
programs, so programs only get list of files and they don't have to care
about things like filename expansion.

(yes, some do)

in old DOS programs, programs had to expand filenames themselves (in a very
ineffective way)

> But you're right: looks like dpkg just does some sort of globbing.  The
> authors evidently believe that 'filename-search-pattern' tells you
> everything you need to know.

looking at dpkg man page:

 dpkg-query-actions
        See  dpkg-query(1) for more information about the follow-
        ing actions.

        dpkg -l | --list package-name-pattern ...
            List packages matching given pattern.
        dpkg -s | --status package-name ...
            Report status of specified package.
        dpkg -L | --listfiles package ...
            List files installed to your system from package.
        dpkg -S | --search filename-search-pattern ...
            Search for a filename from installed packages.
        dpkg -p | --print-avail package
            Display details about package, as found in /var/lib/dpkg/available.

and looking at dpkg-query man page:

 -l | --list package-name-pattern ...
        List packages matching given pattern. If no package-name-pattern
        is  given,  list  all  packages in /var/lib/dpkg/status.  Normal
        shell wildchars are allowed in package-name-pattern. Please note
        you  will probably have to quote package-name-pattern to prevent
        the shell from performing filename expansion. For  example  this
        will list all package names starting with "libc5":

          dpkg-query -l 'libc5*'