Re: Logrotate problems

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 08:40:47AM +0200, Martin wrote......

> I'm seeing some odd behaviors when rotating maillogs.
>
> I have the following settings for the maillog:
>
> # vi /etc/logrotate.d/postfix
>
> /var/log/mail.log {
>         rotate 4
>         missingok
>         create 640 root adm
>         postrotate
>         #reload syslog
>         /etc/init.d/sysklogd reload
>         #reload postfix
>         /etc/init.d/postfix reload
>         endscript
>         nocompress
>         weekly
> }
>
> I don't want to compress my maillogs, yet they get compressed:

Try it as follows:

/var/log/mail.log {
        weekly
        nocompress
        rotate 4
        missingok
        create 640 root adm
        postrotate
        #reload syslog
        /etc/init.d/sysklogd reload
        #reload postfix
        /etc/init.d/postfix reload
        endscript
}

As I read the man page for logrotate, in one of the examples it has
nocompress after endscript just as yours does.  The man explains it
by saying the log files will NOT be compressed if an error occurs on
more than one file.  I presume your files are not encountering
errors, therefore they are compressed because you have the
'nocompress' option following the 'endscript' option.

Kevin

--
Kevin Coyner  GnuPG key: 1024D/8CE11941  http://rustybear.com/publickey