[OT] Using a wireless router as a point of access to LAN

Hi,

I've been using a wireless router (Netgear wgr614, a present from my
sister) to connect a now-mobile computer to my home LAN.  This replaced
an old 486 I was using.

Well, the darned thing stopped working (Internet port seems to be
non-functional), so I slapped my Debian-based 486 back into place, and
am now trying to use the wireless, Internet-less router as a way of
getting that computer onto the LAN.

I have the router hooked through one of its other wired ports into a
switch which handles the other computers.  The mobile box connects to
the Netgear box, and can ping, telnet, etc., other machines on the LAN,
but it does not make it outside.  I cannot ping a numeric IP address
("destination port unreachable" from the 486 gateway) or anything like
ftp.debian.org (times out).

I have given the Netgear box a static LAN address of its own.

The Netgear box is the obvious problem, as the mobile box used to work
when hard-wired to the switch like all others.  But I have no idea what
is wrong with the configuration.  Or is this a setup which has no
chance of working?

Many thanks for any help with this...  What else can I provide
info-wise which would help?  The 486 is set up as gateway/firewall,
usual setup with Shorewall.  Do I need to change the configuration
there, perhaps?

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,