Re: command-line utility to write/edit iptc info?

Ron Johnson wrote:

Bruno Buys wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

Bruno Buys wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

Bruno Buys wrote:

[snip]

ron, My sources.list won't list exiv2. What repo does your come
from? apt-get.org also doesn't list anything. thanks!
Maybe you're running Sarge or Etch?

$ apt-cache policy exiv2
exiv2:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 0.10-1
Version table:
   0.10-1 0
      500 ftp://debian.uchicago.edu unstable/main Packages

Yes, running sarge. But that's ok, I compiled it from the dev's website.
The guy provides a .deb but it must be for etch or sid also, in sarge it
results in broken deps.
exiv2 seems to be quite good, ron, thanks!

You could also:
1. Download the source packages and build them on Sarge.  This link
  points to all the necessary source packages:
     http://packages.debian.org/unstable/graphics/exiv2

2. Upgrade to Etch or Sid.  If you have a desktop, that's not too
  scary.
1. When the debian page says 'depends on such and such other packages', aren't they going to mess my sarge install? I mean, if this is a sid page referring to sid packages, I am not supposed to try to install these on my sarge, am I (because I already have the sarge versions of everything)?

2. Yes, I thought of doing this a zillion times. Question is, I have seen troubled ppl looking for help over a broken/messed system for one reason or another. Fairly put, it doesn't happen all the time (and mainly with brazilian users at debian-users-portuguese, that apparently can't read english docs easily -- debian portuguese documentation is good, but reading english would help a lot). I find myself always postponing this move. My current sarge install is 2 years old, and I have installed a lot of things without decently documenting what I did. If something breaks its gonna be a pain to track it. I know there's dpkg --set-selections/dpkg --get-selections if needed. I'd rather have a testing machine...
How much is etch ahead of sarge? which one you run?