"Communicating" with modems...

Hello all,
In the Linux world, what tool do I use to communicate with an installed modem?
I am trying to troubleshoot a problem sending faxes and want to eliminate the possibility it is the modem hardware.
There is an eight port Rocket modem or something like that installed on this box running Hylafax.
I would like to "connect" to each modem and test the send capability.
If you know of any commands I could use to test with that would be very helpful too :-)
Cheers!