Re: RAID10 on Debian (or RAID0 on top of RAID1) - possible?

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Gilles Mocellin wrote:

Le mercredi 9 août 2006 16:18, Tomasz Chmielewski a écrit :
I wanted to install a Debian system on RAID-10, on 4 disks.
Unfortunately, it seems that Debian installer only supports RAID0, RAID1
and RAID5.

As RAID-10 is technically RAID-0 on top of RAID-1s, I tried such a
scenario:

     -----R0-----

    R1          R1

HDD1 HDD2  HDD3 HDD4

Unfortunately, Debian installer is also unable to create such a setup -
it seems that it can't create RAID devices on existing RAID devices
(i.e., RAID-0 on RAID-1).

How can I set up RAID-10 (or RAID-0 on top of RAID-1) using the Debian
installer?

I don't think it's possible with the installer, but you can do stripped LVM
(lvcreate's -i option) above RAID-1, it's quite RAID-10.

I would not recommend LVM unless you don't care about throughput, see below: