Re: why sarge can't power off PC

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 04:46:39PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
On Tuesday 08 August 2006 11:39, Wulfy wrote:

I have a similar problem.  During the recent very hot weather here in
the UK, my box kept crashing.  So I had to reboot a lot.  I noticed that
when I hit the power switch, it didn't always "catch", the power supply
and fan started but the boot sequence didn't start.  I had to power off
and on again.  Then for some routine maintenance, when I shut the
machine down, it didn't power off...  just to the black screen and the
fans still running.  When I reboot, it gets to the point of the keyboard
lights flashing then stops screen powered down (light flashing rather
than on) and I have to power off with the switch and power on again.
Power supply can't provide enough juice to get started. I should seriously consider replacing that power supply with something with 50w or 100w more maximum output to get around that. Replacing the power supply will also make the components last longer: I've seen machines give up the ghost from trying to power on with too little juice too many times.

I have a feeling your situation has more to do with a hardware addition that happened or an aging power supply rather than a kernel upgrade.

I've also seen very similar behavior from a failing
motherboard. intermittent crashing, failing to POST and boot on power
up etc. all of it intermittent and unpredictable. finally it wouldn't
POST at all... process of elimination gets me a new
motherboard. weee...

Thanks for answering, Paul and Andrew.

I have one 80GiB(? new units I think?) HD and a CDROM. nVidia video card. There's not a lot attached... I hope it's not power supply related... :(

Is there any way to check the power supply's wattage without opening the case?

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.