Re: why sarge can't power off PC

On Tuesday 08 August 2006 11:39, Wulfy wrote:

> I have a similar problem.  During the recent very hot weather here in
> the UK, my box kept crashing.  So I had to reboot a lot.  I noticed that
> when I hit the power switch, it didn't always "catch", the power supply
> and fan started but the boot sequence didn't start.  I had to power off
> and on again.  Then for some routine maintenance, when I shut the
> machine down, it didn't power off...  just to the black screen and the
> fans still running.  When I reboot, it gets to the point of the keyboard
> lights flashing then stops screen powered down (light flashing rather
> than on) and I have to power off with the switch and power on again.

Power supply can't provide enough juice to get started.  I should seriously
consider replacing that power supply with something with 50w or 100w more
maximum output to get around that.  Replacing the power supply will also make
the components last longer:  I've seen machines give up the ghost from trying
to power on with too little juice too many times.

I have a feeling your situation has more to do with a hardware addition that
happened or an aging power supply rather than a kernel upgrade.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber