Re: /dev/hda full - cannot find used space

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 11:20:12AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
It's a terribly bad idea to mount the same filesystem twice unless one
of the mounts is forced to be read-only. I'd not even do it then: I like
my data and don't like long fscks.

Just to emphasize: It's *still* a bad idea to mount any journalled filesystem twice, unless *all* of the mounts are read-only. Even then, I'm not sure that it's safe.

The problem is that---with ext3 for sure and possibly with the other journalled filesystems---mounting read-only still does a read-write recovery of the filesystem from the journal, before doing the actual read-only mount:

	EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
	EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.

On the other hand, Linux might be smart emough to do the equivalent "mount --bind", rather than mount the same filesystem again. Still, to be on the safe side, I'd just run the mount --bind command directly:

	mount --bind / /mnt/slash

--
Dwayne C. Litzenberger <dlitz@dlitz.net>