Re: /dev/hda full - cannot find used space

Problem solved. Once I mounted hda on /mnt/slash as you suggested, I saw that I
now had a directory /mnt/slash/usbdrive  (!!)

What happened was that a few weeks ago the external usb drive mounted at
/mnt/usbdrive was turned off and unmounted. However, the daily rsync backup
script running as root just kept copying the files to be backed up to the
directory /mnt/usbdrive . But this time it was on /dev/hda1, not the usb drive
at all.

Later when the server was rebooted as part of this investigation, the usbdrive
auto-remounted, hiding the files in the same location on /dev/hda1 . Of course,
I ignored the directory /mnt/usbdrive as being on the external disk when
looking for new files.

This did the trick:

umount /mnt/usbdrive
rm -rf /mnt/usbdrive