Re: email server

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:15:43 +0300, Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 06:29:44PM +0100, marc wrote:

I want to set up a local LAN-side email server that provides POP3 and
IMAP for multiple accounts - the MUA is usually Firefox, both Windows
and Linux.

No, it isn't.  Firefox isn't a mail client.

Maybe you mean Mozilla Thunderbird?

The source of the emails is from multiple POP3/IMAP accounts.

Reading some of the zillion and one HOWTOs out there is complicating the
matter - there are lots of HOWIs and no generic-ish HOWTOs that I could
find.

Where I'm at now is to use:
- postfix (with virtual mailboxes)
- courier
- getmail (I think this will work with postfix)
- clamav and spamassassin (that I understand work with getmail)

I use fetchmail, but one would think that'd work.

In my LAN mailserver I use fetchmail,procmail,hotwayd(gateway for hotmail pop3),spamassassin,amavisd & clamav with postfix.
There are lots of good howtos for setting these things up.