Re: alsa "hw" assignments, audacity doesn't know jack

On Tuesday 08 August 2006 20:56, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
[...]
> First, I'd like to know how to explicitly tell ALSA that hw:0 is to be
> my soundcard and hw:1 the MIDI controller that does always show up, so
> that if the MIDIsport shows up, it gets assigned to hw:2.
[...]

Hi Chuckk,

See the thread from Friday called "Naming multiple alsa sound cards (was Re:
synthetic sound generator with api)" which has some clues on that.

> Also, now, when I start Audacity, it tells me "there was an error
> initializing the audio I/O layer.....Error: Host error."  Even though
> qjackctl is running and connected and showing alsa_pcm.  Under
> Preferences, Audacity has nothing for playback/recording devices.  I
> checked that the sample rates for jackd and Audacity are the same.
> Audacity does not appear on qjackctl's connections dialog.

[...]

As for Audacity, AFAIK the Debian version doesn't play with jack yet, only
plain ALSA. This link has instructions for building it specially to do so:

http://www.nabble.com/Re:-Audacity-will-not-work-if-JACK-is-running.-p3229677.html

but it's not the "Debian way".

In the meantime, Rezound (similar style to Audacity) or Ardour-gtk (fancy
multi-tracker) are both jack-aware audio editors, as is the deceptively
simple-looking Snd-gtk package.

Good luck,

John