Re: Sarge - how to write a filesystem backup directory to a DVD ?

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 03:23:07PM -0700, Keith Christian wrote:
> The capacity of the DVD is 8gb, write speed is 16x, and the size of the
> directory to be burned to the DVD is about 7gb so there should be plenty
> of space.

No, unless you're using DL media, the capacity of the DVD is approximately
4 gb.  And you aren't finding any 16x DL discs yet, as far as I know.

Your dvd+rw-mediainfo run below supports the fact that you only have 4gb
discs.

> I'm a little confused - should the input to "growisofs" be the directory that
> is to be burned to the DVD, or should an .iso be created first, and that in
> turn burned to the DVD, as is done with CD's ?

Pick one.  The documentation for growisofs makes it plain from the examples
that you can either specify the directory containing the files to burn
(since it will call mkisofs as needed) or create an ISO yourself and burn
that.

> I've seen references to "formatting" or "initializing" DVD's on a few websites
> but don't know if that's really necessary.

Typically, +RW media needs to be formatted, also as documented.  Usually,
+R and -R do not.

> A URL with a step by step sequence of how to do this or troubleshoot this
> would be appreciated.

Don't know what you need other than growisofs's man page.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Respect is a rational process -- McCoy, "The Galileo
 msw@cox.net |     Seven", stardate 2822.3