Re: Debian on i486

Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:
[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
In article <6G90m-1yo-7@gated-at.bofh.it>, Leonid Grinberg wrote:
Hello,

I have obtained the proper module for the 2.4 kernel and my ethernet
card (3c509), but modprobing it results in

insmod: Unresolved symbol isapnp_find_dev_Rdae0a386

Google does not find any pages with that symbol. Any ideas?

My guess is you're trying to use a 3c509.o that was made with
isa-pnp.o or isapnp.o, and those have to be loaded first,
and they're missing.  If you're using modprobe and it
can't resolve that by loading isapnp, you're missing something,
or you're trying to use modules from two different kernels.

As I dimly recall, 3c509.o can load all by itself in a kernel
made without ISA Plug and Play.  But if you make your kernel with
PnP, 3c509 needs it.  I never did understand that part of that
driver.

Unlike most ISA cards, 3C509 doesn't have a fixed I/O address.
The driver kind of feels around for it at load time.  When
I was using 3C509s I compiled it into bzImage so they would do
that early in the boot time and not need to get modprobed with
other activity going on.  Same with ISA Pnp.

Actually you can get a little utility (or could) from the 3com website
called 3c5x9.exe that you can run from a freedos or dr-dos floppy
to set the card up to the IO address and interrupt that you want it
to use, and disable the pnp function.
I always use this if have any of these cards, which have really lasted
the course.

As I already said, you're gonna want to make a kernel just for
that machine.  The stock Debian kernels are too fat and you
don't have memory to waste.  Skip the whole initrd thing,
it'll boot faster.

Cameron

--
Bill