Re: chroot doesn't work, among other things.

"David R. Litwin" <presently42@gmail.com> writes:

> On 04/08/06, Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> wrote:
>
>     >     Also, install strace, and run "strace -f -F -o /tmp/log chroot
>     >     /mnt/hda3" and check the results of the log.  Put it up for download
>     >     somewhere, and we can take a look at it.
>     >
>     > http://pastebin.ca/115013
>
>     It's failing after executing /bin/bash, during bash startup.
>
> This makes sense as when I boot in to that partition, it stops and
> drops me to an ash cli.

At what point?

If the chrooted system is broken in some way, that's where you should
look first.  chroot(8) on the host Debian system is working correctly,
so what you need to do next is discover the cause of the FPE on the
chrooted system.

You may need to install the debugging versions of the libs bash uses
(including libc6-dbg) and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/debug.  You can
then use strace, ltrace and gdb to further investigate what is
triggering this problem.

>     The chroot command itself completed successfully, as you can
>     see.  Please try mounting procfs on /proc inside the chroot
>     location and see if this makes any difference.
>

> I don't believe I know how to do what you wish me to do. Is this it:
> mount -t proc /dev/hda3/proc /mnt/hda3 ?

No.  Try

 # mount -t proc proc /mnt/hda3/proc

(after you have mounted /dev/hda3 on /mnt/hda3)

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
   `-    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848   Please sign and encrypt your mail.