chroot doesn't work, among other things.

Hello vaunted list:

I'm having some troubles with chroot. Giving chroot /mnt/hda3 after mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 tells me Floating Point Exception. apt-get is now busted after I tried to install ntp (I did manage to get ntpdate) and forcing in various ways (installing and uninstalling) is
doing exactly nothing. Generally, my computer is falling apart, the irc gives no help (use sarge, not sid) and I'm getting mad so pardon me, please, if I don't seem my usual, cordial and eccentric self.

Any help will be appreciated, so long as it is useful. Thanks very much indeed.

Cheers.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.