Re: Can't ping

On fre, 2006-08-04 at 14:38 +0200, Helge Stenström (KI/EAB) wrote:
> I can't ping either. I have Debian Sid, and made a system upgrade in late July. Is the cause the same?
>
> pinging other machines on the same subnet works.
>
> The route command takes very long time (40 seconds), but gives the expected result. (disclaimer: I don't understand this stuff, but I can compare with machines that work)
> The route -n command is quick, and gives the expected result.
>
> >From /etc/resolv.conf:
>   search rnd.ki.sw.ericsson.se
>   nameserver 147.214.214.11
>   nameserver 147.214.214.111
>
> I cannot ping the nameservers by IP. I can from other machines, of from the same machine running Knoppix.
>
> The ifconfig eth0 command gives the expected result (same disclaimer)
>
> Result of "route -n | grep eth"
> 147.214.195.0   0.0.0.0         255-255-255-0   U    0    0    0 eth0
> 0.0.0.0         147.214.195.1   0.0.0.0         UG   0    0    0 eth0
>
> I don't understand if this is a problem with a configuration file or with a program that got downloaded when I upgraded the system. I hope it's a configuration thing, because then it's easier to repair.
>
> Regards,
> Helge Stenström

Hi Helge and all.

I could only see output regarding 'eth0', but it seems that more
interfaces are involved. I had a simiar problem at my place, and the
only advice I can give is that you guys need to check your entire
routing structure.
It is impossible for us (i.e. me) to give an answer based on on half the
truth.
Make sure that you haven't made the misstake to route through several
interfaces that don't have the conectivity required.

/nicolaus Kedegren