Re: why sarge's default kernel does not support scsi disk?

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 16:19:18 +0100, Pete Clarke wrote:
> Serena Cantor wrote earlier:
> > Thanks! Then, how to pass options to initrd in grub's
> > menu.lst? I mean scsi disks parameters. My scsi disk
> > is not automatically recognized by sarge installation
> > program.
>
> That I do not know - I use lilo.
> If you already have Sarge installed, you need to create a new /initrd.img
> file - see man mkinitrd for details - you will need to include the module
> for the SCSI card in the /etc/mkinitrd/modules file.
>
> If you are trying to install, then you need to boot from a kernel that has
> SCSI drivers incorporated - there is such an image, the "compact" disc
> image IIRC.
> >From there on in the discs should be visible.

If your SCSI controller is not supported by the "old" kernel that comes
with Sarge then you could try Kenshi Muto's customized Debian Sarge
installer which includes a backported version of a newer kernel
(2.6.16):

http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

The chances are quite high that this installer will recognize your SCSI
disk, so you should be able to install Sarge without having to anything
"special".

--
Regards,
          Florian