Re: why sarge's default kernel does not support scsi disk?

> How could that be possible? I check
> /boot/config-2.4.27-2-386 again, I find :
>
> CONFIG_SCSI=m
>
> You must have re-compiled kernel.

Not so, I have Sarge running on 8 Debian servers, all are only SCSI,
moreover they are SCSI Hardware RAID.
The drivers for the SCSI cards are built into the /initrd.img (man
mkinitrd) file that the kernel reads upon bootup.
The system will boot from the first device as specified in the BIOS (or
whatever your machine uses instead), this will allow the initial bootblock
to be read, this then gets the rest of the drivers etc. for booting from
the initrd.img, and booting continues from there as normal.

If you need *any* drivers for your machine to boot, they need to be
included in the /initrd.img file.

This is a non-technical description of the process, I'm sure someone more
knowledgable than me would be more accurrate.. ;-)

Cheers,

Pete.