Re: auto-download deb files that are already installed

Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
On 8/3/06, Wackojacko <wackojacko32@ntlworld.com> wrote:
I think the problem is that apt on the laptop doesn't know about the new
packages because you dont have an up to date package list on you laptop.
   I know of two ways around this.

The first is a hack I use.  Copy the package files from
/var/lib/apt/list and the contents files from /var/cache/apt/ from the
desktop to the laptop and place the deb files in the
/var/cache/apt/archives directory on the laptop and apt-get should find
them as normal.  Also put the entries from the sources.list on the
desktop onto the laptop and do 'apt-get update' this will fail because
you dont have an internet connection and just use the list you copied over.

Thanks, I'm about to give this a shot.
If I'm copying the entire contents of /var/cache/apt/archives, though,
would it then work to manually dpkg install all the ones I want, and
it will find the dependencies?  I might just try that, since I have a
list of all the packages I want, but not their dependencies...

Thanks.
Chuckk

No dpkg doesn't handle the dependencies like apt-get, you'll have to install the dependencies first individually I think.

HTH

Wackojacko