Re: CUPS dependencies

Russell L. Harris wrote:
> No application or utility can survive lack of maintenance, because every
> application and every utility is but part of a larger system to which
> changes constantly are being made.  So eventually you shall have no
> choice but to abandon lprng, unless you find a way to maintain it.

Modularity is good.

As time goes on old systems are better emulated than cast aside, an
example is, I would think, the lpr that CUPS presents.  Ideally this
would allow any program that has depended on printing by issuing an lpr
command to simply carry on unchanged.

I've not found CUPS easy which means little, but I note that ESR
remarked on the interface provided for it, which probably means a bit
more.  I don't think CUPS is easy to use.

--
Adrian Midgley