Re: Wireless module bcm43xx in 2.6.17 kernel

Freddy Freeloader wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
Well, I've made some progess on this since I posted last time. I have found out that you must use the bcm43xx-fwcutter utility from berlios.de to extract all the *.fw (firmware) files from the bcmlw.sys windows

Ah yes, I had to do that too. Sorry I wasn't able to recall this in my earlier post.

driver file. Once I did that I can now scan with iwlist and the error is gone. I haven't, however, gotten this to work with or without any security. It goes through the motions but it never recieves a dhcp offer from the router. And, yes the router is working as I can pick up dhcp offers from windows machines.

Well, as I had said earlier, WPA never worked for me. But I am now able to use WEP 128 bit encryption with the router. Apparently the linux bcm43xx module doesn't support 256 bit WEP. But I configured the router information (WEP key etc.) using the GUI networking application that comes with Ubuntu. So at present, I have no experience using config files to do so in Debian.

However, I just fired up the networking GUI (K-menu -> System -> Networking) in Debian Testing and I get a similar GUI I got in Ubuntu (cannot test though, no wireless on my desktop). For now, I see no reason why similar setup won't work in Debian. Just select the wireless card from the GUI, and I guess you have to go to properties to setup the SSID and the WEP key and then just re-activate the card. It should work.

->HS