Re: Can't access usb

On 7/29/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 17:58:32 -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> OK, I tried this, and got a startup error saying udev requires a
> kernel > 2.6.15.  I'll ask the AGNULA list about it again.  I expect
> to try compiling my own kernel soon, so maybe I can find a hack for
> this.

The "kernel-package" package is great for compiling custom Debian
kernels. You can use a new source from Debian together with the
configuration file from AGNULA if you want.

A more general word of advice: It might be that you have some
inconsistency in this Debian/Agnula mix that you are running. Make
sure that you use the proper version of the Agnula add-ons with the
recommended version of Debian. I have the feeling that there will be
some painful learning experiences ahead otherwise.

I've now tried both stable and Etch on my laptop, straight from fresh
ISO images, and had the exact same errors with both: /dev/input/mice
not present, no core pointer, etc.  And unable to mount the usb flash.
I just checked, and I did not have gnome-volume-manager installed on
my desktop; I installed it and it hasn't made any difference.
Interestingly, hotplug and udev are both showing as installed.  I
tried compiling a kernel but got GRUB errors, and GRUB shows the old
kernel.  However, Synaptic shows linux-image-2.6.17 installed, version
2.6.17-10.00.Custom.

I find it odd that neither testing nor stable were able to work on my
laptop, using the first 2 CDs of each.  It is, of course, a touchpad,
but I can't find any literature addressing setting up X with that...
-Chuckk