Re: Will VNC run on a laptop with 32MB? What to do with OLD laptop?

J F wrote:
Will VNC run on a laptop with 32MB?
WOuld be a nice remote desktop in my living room to my bedroom linux machine or windows machine.

I've got an old laptop.

I was wondering what the best thing to
do with it is?

It has no CD and only 32MB of memory.
I found X windows is swapping constantly to disk
if you move a window on another machine I have.
Ok to run X in emergencies, but painfully slow otherwise.

Is there software to display digital photos and change it
into a picture display system?

I'm doing exactly this at the moment with an old Compaq LTE 5100 laptop (90 MHz Pentium CPU, 75 MB RAM). I'm using tips from this article: http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=375500&rl=1 I've gotten muLinux installed on it and it is great! Very small (under 150MB for the install AFAICT), which leaves my 1.3GB hard disk with lots of space for pics.

I'm still working out a few kinks (like getting the mouse pointer either to disappear or move off the screen automatically), but my first set of results look very promising.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -- Galileo Galilei