Re: Help in understanding XDMCP required

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:41:03 +0100
Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sunday 30 July 2006 08:54, Liam O'Toole wrote:

[...]

> > I second the proposal that a solution based on VNC is your best
> > bet. It should even be possible to run a VNC viewer on your laptop
> > and connect to your workstation in one hop:
> >
> >     ssh -L 5901:workstation:5901 server
> >
> > Then you would connect the viewer to localhost:1. This would remove
> > the need for X forwarding, and is usually faster too.
>
> I think there is some subtlety here that I don't fully understand.  I
> tried what I thought was the right software (Debian package
> vnc4server)

That's what I use.

> and added the module vnc into my xorg,conf file.

I don't have that. IIRC, that module is for inter-process communication
between a VNC server and a 'normal' X server. (VNC has its own, built-in
X server which doesn't require the latter.)

> I then downloaded a windows viewer from realvnc,com and tried to
> connect.  It ended up locking up my x configuration on the
> workstation (where the vnc server was running) such that I had to
> reboot.  It did that twice before I gave up

I suggest you remove the line which loads the vnc module and try again.

A potential 'gotcha' is that, depending on the contents of the file
~/.vnc/xstartup, the VNC server might launch the same window manager
that your display manager does. So if you are logged on to your
workstation via your display manager you will end up with two copies
running. Some window managers and desktop environments don't like that.

You can eliminate both of the above problems by quitting X entirely on
your workstation and launching VNC from a virtual console. This would
represent the simplest test case.

--

Liam