Re: Help in understanding XDMCP required

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:41:28 -0500
Bob Smither <bob@smither.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 20:34 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

[...]

> > I have been able, with a second ssh hop onto my workstation from
> > the server (also forwarding X) to run individual X based
> > applications so that the display is on the laptop, but I can't
> > figure out how to get it to operate so the whole desktop gets
> > displayed there.  Is it possible? and if so How
>
> Not directly responsive, I know, but you could certainly run a VNC
> server on the workstation (serving up a complete desktop) and then ssh
> to your firewall (with X forwarding) and run VNCviewer there to
> display your complete desktop session back to your laptop.  A little
> indirect, but it does work.
>
> HTH,

I second the proposal that a solution based on VNC is your best bet. It
should even be possible to run a VNC viewer on your laptop and connect
to your workstation in one hop:

    ssh -L 5901:workstation:5901 server

Then you would connect the viewer to localhost:1. This would remove the
need for X forwarding, and is usually faster too.

--

Liam