ati rage 2.0 startx failure

Several times I've tried to configure X and failed. The complaints now are that a device is missing from the /etc/x11.xorg.conf file at least one must be present and another part of the error message says no screens can be found. It makes no difference whether I use the frame buffer or monitor and card hardware same errors. I'm at a point where I'm using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to try different adjustments. The startx command returns fatal error and the number is 104. Fortunately this installation isn't erroring out and trying to run when I boot this computer.