Re: Volatile vs backports

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 05:20:13PM -0400, John Fleming wrote:
> Obvious noob question - What is the difference for a Sarge user, between
> Debian volatile vs backports for things like clamav and spamassassin?
Volatile is for packages which have a constant flow of changes like clamav
for example. The version of clamav shipped with Debian/sarge is unable to
work with the current signature format.
Adding a new package to volatile requires that there is a reason to do so
and kind of strong QA you've to pass.

Uploading a package to backports.org only requires that the package is
in Debian/testing and that you've repackaged it as a backport (lowering
the version number and a few other things). Ok you need to find a sponsor
for your package when you're not a DD with yout gpg key in the keyring
but that's not a huge problem. So rule of thumb is that everything that
can't hide long enough can be packaged for backports.org.

HTH
Sven
--
If you won't forgive me the rest of my life
Let me apologize while I'm still alive