pppoeconf

Hello. When I installed Etch, I had trouble connecting to the internet. I tried to run pppoeconf, but it reported:

debian:/home/mark# pppoeconf
This option is not available. Please see --help for all possible usages.

So, I uninstalled it, wrote a preferences file locking the program at the Sarge version, and then proceeded to install the Sarge version of pppoeconf. This worked perfectly. However, I'm thinking I really should not have to do this. I'm not sure how to fix it, however. I also tried to install etherconf recently, and this also will not install.

Mark