Re: Konqueror and ACLs: difference between SuSE and Debian, between 3.5.x versions?

On Thursday 27 July 2006 06:46, Ryan Nowakowski wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 08:44:09AM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> > We're facing a problem here with konquerors acl behaviour:
> >
> > changing from SuSE's 3.4.something to Debian backport 3.5.0 or also
> > http://deb.stosberg.net/'s 3.5.3 backports, acl behaviour on file
> > copying has annoyingly changed to also copy the acl.  Old (and
> > "correct" - at least for our use) behaviour was that the target file
> > would get the default acl of the target directory.
>
> By acl's I guess you mean permissions?

Yes and no.  From your answer I'm not sure you understand what I'm talking
about.  By ACL's I mean permissions as described in the acl(5) manpage:
permissions that are far more powerful than regular unix permissions.  One
of the features is that a directory can have a list of default acl's, which
should be automatically assigned to any new object created in that
directory.

Now apparently somebody has decided that when a file is copied, the acl's
should be copied, too.  Which defeats the concept of default acl for our
purposes (users create their document in their homedir and copy it to some
shared directory when ready to publish.

cheers
-- vbi

--
The content of this message may or may not reflect the opinion of me, my
employer, my girlfriend, my cat or anybody else, regardless of the fact