Re: etch installer on dialup line?

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Joey Hess wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
I downloaded the latest business-card image of d-i and tried to install sid with it.

You need a slightly larger CD image. The netinst image contains only
software that you would download anyway during the install, and it also
contains a copy of ppp. You'll be able to install the base system
without going online, then after it reboots into debian, you can install
ppp from the CD, configure it, and pull down whatever else you need over
the modem.

Alternatively, if you want a simpler desktop install, the full CD is a
good choice, since it contains little aside from what you'll need for a
desktop install. Again you can install ppp after the install to pull
down any additional software you need.

Thanks Joey, let me try the netinst image.

The reason I did not do that is the wiki. It says:

You cannot install sid from a netinst or full CD, only etch

I guess I ought to repost back to the list, I found very little info on how to do this.

So the d-i netinst image is the smallest that will let you install Etch without a network connection.

You cannot install Sid: only Etch.
You can install Sid with the business-card image but then you need a network.

Specify "Do not config. netw. at this time" + continue.

When you boot the new system, like Joey says, you can use the CD to install ppp, pppconfig it and connect to your dialup line.

Change the /etc/apt/sources to Sid and do an update + dist-upgrade and you got Sid.