Re: where's gksuexec in Etch

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:38:14 -0400
Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net> wrote:

> Hello.  I recently switched from Sarge to Etch.  I used to use the
> command "gksuexec" to run things as a different user (run as root).
> In particular, I used it to open "nautilus --no-desktop --browser".
> I've tried the command "gksu nautilus --no-desktop --browser" in the
> run application (alt-F2) box, but this doesn't work.

What happens? Do you see anything at all? Is there any output in
~/.xsession-errors?

> Granted, I can
> open the browser nautilus from a root terminal, but it's an extra
> step, and leaves the ugly terminal on the desktop spewing messages to
> me while running nautilus.

You could do 'nautilus --no-desktop --browser >/dev/null 2>&1'. Then
use ctrl-r to fetch the command again when needed.

> In short, I'm hoping to be able to get gksuexec back on my system.
> To further clarify what I'm talking about, view the icon for the
> command at http://dsslive.org/mediawiki/images/Icon-Gksuexec.png

The result of 'apt-file search gksuexec' is simply:

    gksu: usr/share/pixmaps/gksuexec-debian.xpm

Looks like the executable is gone.

--

Liam