Re: printer recommendations

Glenn English <ghe@slsware.com> writes:

> Are HP laser printers still OK? Anybody have horror stories about the
> 4700? Or a better idea (color, laser, self contained server, heavy load)?

My HP5 no longer is supported.  I discovered the fact when a HP toner
cartridge (supposedly with a lifetime warranty) appeared to be causing
problems in the printer.

I phoned HP and was told that I could not speak with a technician,
because no technicians were assigned to non-supported printers such as
the HP5.  And without authorization from a technician, the customer is
not authorized to return a toner cartridge, even if you purchased it the
day before.

I asked to speak with a customer service representative, but was told
that there was no one at all -- in all of the HP empire -- who could
help me, once support for a printer has been discontinued.

So, once a HP printer is discontinued, the customer has no recourse
whatsoever if a genuine HP toner cartridge is defective, unless the
office supply store is willing to provide an exchange or refund.

RLH