Re: Setup of thpot SSH -- is this how its supposed to work?

2006. July 26. 13:56, Ryan Gandy:
> Hi.
> I'm using Sarge 2.6.8-3 on PPC and have been trying to get a SSH
> server set up. I've gone through all the obligatory security measures
> like changing port numbers, and now I'm trying to get tinyhoneypot
> installed and working as a secondary measure.
>
> But after a few days, I can't get tinyhoneypot to display an
> interface after test connecting to it via "ssh -p 22 127.0.0.1"
>
> I've read all the man files and checked on websites that deal with
> installing thpot.  Through some trial and error, I've gotten thpot to
> where it will report the date and time of a connection in its log
> directory, which is set to chown thpot:nogroup and chmod 700, that
> last as per the configuration file specifics -- since I couldn't find
> a group with the name "nobody" and running as user "thpot" seems to
> be a better idea.
>
> Since I chose to make it work with plain inetd instead of xinetd, the
> entry in my inetd.conf file is as follows, to be commented out later:
>
> #ssh stream tcp nowait thpot /usr/sbin/thpot thpot ssh
>
> Is there any error in there that is preventing the thpot interface
> from showing up?

it's just a shot in the dark, but
1. are you sure that inetd is running instead of xinetd?
2. you are not blocking the 22 port with your firewall
3. the /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} files are edited so it accepts the
connections

HTH,
Daniel

--