Re: Installation problems

On Thursday 27 July 2006 01:00, Rob Hurle wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> 	Thanks for your wonderful suggestion:
>
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006, Stephen Cormier wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 July 2006 01:50, Rob Hurle wrote:
> > > Dear All,
> > >
> > > 	I am trying to set up Debian 3.1r1 (Sarge) on a box with an
> > > Intel D945GNT motherboard and twin 3.2GHz processors and 1Gb of
> > > memory.  It has two SATA disc drives.  Unfortunately, none of the
> > > peripherals is recognised - not the network cards, nor the two disc
> > > drives.  I've tried booting with the 2.6 kernel (2.4 is the default, I
> > > think - tried that first) and, based on some advice from mailing
> > > lists, declared less memory (500M in this case).  None of these things
> > > has worked.  There is also no floppy on this system, only a CD drive.
> > > The system boots, ready for installation, from the CD, but then,
> > > nothing can be seen ("No media to partition" is the final message).
> > > Any ideas would be welcome.  Thank you.
> >
> > You could try one of the backported sarge install discs from the
> > following site that have newer kernels.
> >
> > http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/
>
> I downloaded this, and am away (sorry for the delay in reply - my ISP
> has been having "issues" with e-mail).  I still have a few questions
> about this:
>
> 1.  I have 2 processors, so would like an SMP kernel.  Where could I
> get such a thing from?
>
> 2.  I am very new to Debian (coming from FreeBSD) and I wonder if
> anyone on the list can give me a pointer as to how to incorporate a
> new kernel (RTFM - sure, but which FM?)?  I tried using aptitude(8)
> but it only finds earlier kernels than the one I picked up from the
> above URL (which was 2.6.16-2-686) and these bomb (not surprisingly).
>
> >From where can I get these kernels, and can I get aptitude to install
>
> them?

You can use "apt-cache search linux-image smp" without the quotes and it
should show you the available smp kernels to install I'm sure there is a way
to search this using aptitude but I never have used it. Once you find a
suitable one then "aptitude install linux-image-????-smp" would install it
from the command line using aptitude then of course reboot and choose the
newly installed kernel from the list presented by Grub/LILO depending on
which you are using. BTW which image did you use to install a 32 bit or 64
bit one or does your chip(s) support 64bits.

> 	Thanks again for your help.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob Hurle

Your Welcome,