Re: Wireless : best policy / pratice to start it

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 08:51:50PM +0200, Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> I'm looking for the best policies / practices to start wireless networking.
> Briefly I use wireless in following locations:
>
> -home:
> wpa via wpa_supplicant
>
> -public (bars..etc..):
> no wep/wpa
>
> Both works fine. Currently I start a console logged with user root to call
> ifup with related params.
> Should I used root to call ifup ?
> I would like to keep a manual connection as I do not want to automatically
> connect.

I just discovered network-manager{,-kde} which I now have working on my
orinoco based and ipw2200 based laptops with kernel 2.6.17.  Makes
managing connections painless.  Simply add users who need permission to
manage the interface to the netdev group and run.  I don't use WPA (WEP
only), but the package depends on wpasupplicant, so WPA should be
supported.

I did need to add a stanza to /etc/dbus-1/system.d/knetworkmanager.conf:

        <policy group="netdev">
                <allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>

                <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>
                <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>
        </policy>

...to match the corresponding stanza in NetworkManager.conf.  The package is
not in sarge.

Connects automatically to "trusted" nets, but not untrusted.
--
Rob