Re: how to make colour prompts for pdksh

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 09:47:39PM +0200, LeVA wrote:
> > So either set konsole up to launch ksh as a login shell, or set ENV
> > somewhere.  You can test this with:
> >
> > $ ENV="~/.profile" konsole
> >
> > Or launch konsole, and do:
> > $ ksh -l
>
> The .profile is always gets parsed (both in a login and a non-login
> shell).

This is not correct, unless you have a line such as the following in
your .profile:

  export ENV=~/.profile

However, your non-login shells will inherit exported variables from
your login shell, so your prompts will still be set, etc.  This is the
difference between variables that are exported and not exported.

> When I start pdksh in a non-login shell, the .profile gets parsed, and
> the PATH and every other env.var. gets set. Only the aliases gets
> ignored, but why?

Because you are mistaken...  the .profile does not get parsed.  The
environment variables are being inherited from the parent shell.  if
the .profile was being parsed, your aliases would be there too.

> If I add the ENV="~/.kshrc" line to my .profile and my ~/.kshrc contains
> my aliases, then I still can not see my aliases...

You need to export ENV.  This can be done as I did above, or like
this:

  ENV=~/.profile; export ENV

> The man says that "if the ENV parameter is set when the shell starts" :)
> This is funny because I can set the ENV parameter in a shell, and I can
> not set it before running the shell :)

Yes you can... you can export it from a parent shell.

> Something must be running already (eg. KDE) to be able to set up the
> variable. I can put a file which contains 'ENV="~/.kshrc"' to my
> ~/.kde/env/ and that gets sourced by kde startup, so the ENV
> parameter will be set when I start konsole.  Wait a minute... that
> is what I'm gonna do! :)

And if you tried that, it didn't work either... because you didn't
export ENV.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/