installaing php4-odbc wants to replace kernel?

I've just finished installing freetds and now need to get it to work
with PHP4 ... when I try to install php4-odbc via dselect, here's what I
get:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386
  php4-odbc

  You are running a kernel (version 2.6.8-2-386) and attempting to remove
  the same version. This is a potentially disastrous action. Not only
  will /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386 be removed, making it impossible to boot
  it, (you will have to take action to change your boot loader to boot
  a new kernel), it will also remove all modules under the directory
  /lib/modules/2.6.8-2-386. Just having a copy of the kernel image is not
  enough, you will have to replace the modules too.

    I repeat, this is very dangerous. If at all in doubt, answer
    no. If you know exactly what you are doing, and are prepared to
    hose your system, then answer Yes.

Why does it need to remove the kernel?  and how do i get around it?
/etc/apt/sources.lst looks like this:

deb ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ stable main
deb-src ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ stable main
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

I know I'm in way over my head, but can someone help me understand this
and what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Kenn