Re: "Unpacking replacement..." hangs in apt-get.

I followed your advice and it was one of those scripts that
was in an uninterrupted loop (or something like that). However,
when I ran it by hand, ie from command line it didn't hang
but it didn't seem to do anything either. Later I went into
dselect and started removing 'broken packages'. These were
numerous. In fact, by the time I was through the networking
stopped working. So I reinstalled the system from the ground
up and it works fine. Unfortunately, I can no longer study
the bogus behavior. On the other hand, my hardware (x86_64)
is now in official unstable release (it used to be stable
only). Maybe there is some problem with the stable release?

Regards,
/Adam

Joey Hess wrote:
Adam Soltan wrote:
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 105697 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace mozilla-browser 2:1.7.8-1sarge5 (using .../mozilla-browser_2%3a1.7.8-1sarge6_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement mozilla-browser ...
<CTRL-C><CTRL-C>

So instead of the ctrl-c stuff, run ps fax in another console, and look
to see what maintainer script is running (postrm or postinst probably)
and what program it's run that's hanging (maybe update-menus?)

Then see if you can reproduce the hang running the same program by hand,
strace it, and send in a bug report on it.